Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Taking a tumble

I get myself organised and ride out quite early, as I have a wedding party to go to. We're on a tight schedule, and I don’t want to take any chances with getting lost, so I stick to our most familiar route. Big mistake.

It’s cold and windy (where did summer go?) and Harry is quite tense, but I feel very relaxed and rashly ride on a long rein, even in quite a fast canter.

WHACK! I’m flat on my back in the heather. It was like something from a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Harry just disappeared out from under me, shying at a deer that popped out under his nose.

I’m winded, so I lie there for a while, checking my limbs still function, and wheezing. Harry hasn’t gone far, I can see him sampling the plant life out of the corner of my eye. Then as I roll over a big pink nose comes down to investigate: "What are you doing down there?", he seems to be saying.

In a way, this is a good thing. It's the fourth time I've fallen off Harry, but the first time we’ve been alone when it happened. He didn't run a mile, indeed, he was pretty chilled about it all.

Mental note to self
Keep a contact when you’re cantering, and never get complacent. Sudden deer appearances can scare a cob, even if he sees them in his field all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment